Sunday, April 09, 2006

Questions that are Asked Frequently

Well, it's been a week now, and the bulk of hits have subsided. Most of the visits from the likes of b3ta.com and Warren Ellis have ebbed away, and I'm mostly reduced to being passed around LiveJournals and message boards like Mariah Carey at a G-Unit after party.

I am, of course, left with a much larger readership than when I started, which is no bad thing. Assuming that most of the folks reading now are sticking around, now would be a good time to address a few issues that have come up...

For the interest of some, here are the publications I've been swiping images from (unfortunately, some of them don't appear to have publication dates on them):

The Book for Girls
Chick's Own Annual 1954
Girls' Crystal Annual 1952
Happy Story Book
The Modern Book for Girls 1960 (probably)
The Oxford Annual for Girls 1933
The Oxford Annual for Girls 1939
Popular Book for Girls

Not Enid Fucking Blyton. The reason I have access to all of them is that my girlfriend collects such publications from fairs and opshops for the purposes of decorating a room with the colour plates one day. (She's also the one who told me that those are Mary Janes, not plimsolls.)

In terms of T-shirts, mugs or what have you, while I'm as consumerist a whore as the next man, and I'd love to make such commodities available via the likes of cafepress.com, I'm not 100% sure where I stand copyright-wise. I think the limit is currently 50 years in England, so the images from the 30s and early 50s are probably safe, but I'm not sure. I do know that it's when you start making money off things that people start to get miffed. For all I know, I'm just about to be sued into permanent incontinence just for putting them up here.

And comments and e-mails would suggest that the Anne Frank one is still the crowd favourite. I hear you: more jokes about poo.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Classic children's books illustrations almost certainly are free for use (and abuse). Could I make a request for something from Oz?